Welcome to the Harsens Island St. Clair Flats Association ..!
We would like to invite our members to attend the Harsen’s Island St. Clair Flats Association
It will be held on Saturday, June 11th, 9:00 am at the Lion’s Hall, on Harsen’s Island.
Become a Member of the Harsen’s Island St. Clair Flats Association
Did you know we are the largest property owner’s group in Michigan?
Your Membership Will Help to Enhance Our Island for the Enjoyment of Everyone!
- Community Action – Our Board of Directors meet monthly to discuss the current Island events and needs of the people on Harsen’s Island. This is an open meeting at the Lions Hall on the second Saturday of every month. The Association is not a governing body, but we do have numbers and a voice. We try and respond to the problems of our residents and help them find the right avenue to answer their concerns.
- Communication Tools –
- The Delta News is a quality yearly publication that reports Island events, club and organization news and chronicles the history of our Island. The Delta News is 60 years old and is packed full of articles and interesting “Blasts from our past”. The Delta News is a keepsake for our future generations.
- Advertising Board at the Ferry – The Association maintains the advertising sign. It is a quick and handy reference guide for our Island residents and visitors. The sign provides a source of paid advertising for local businesses and services.
- A Website – We will attempt to post pertinent, current and some reference data on this site
- Bulletin Board – The directors have had many lively discussions on where to place a community bulletin board to announce Island events. We hope with the help of a professional sign maker and the cooperation of Clay Township we will be able to have this in operation soon. As with this project and any of our future goals we need members willing to volunteer their time and creative energy.
- Recreation – We are an Island of Sun, Fun and Boating! –
- Browne’s Field is our main recreation area and open to our members as well as our community. Many future goals have been proposed for the field. Possibilities include: an enclosed facility, walking paths, improved tennis courts, a soccer field, putting and chipping greens and an ice-skating pond. The Browne’s Field Committee has many fine ideas to expand one of our biggest assets. Facility expansions would accommodate more of the needs of our community. Because of the generous donation of this land by Cecil Browne, we have the land for expansion. It is used every summer by our members for picnics, reunions and wedding receptions. It is also the site for our annual Field Day. Most summers The Down River Recreation uses the field for a summer day camp.
Lending a Helping Hand
- · Charitable Contributions – Without the support of our members we would not be able to expand our charitable giving. We have been able to give Scholarships to Island students, meet special needs for community members, give donations to our local Fire Department, support Island school projects, reading programs, and the Red Cross to name a few areas.
- · Reader’s Cove – The Association helped in the initial formation of this library facility in downtown Sans Souci. It is now maintained and run by volunteers and donated money. It boasts of over 600 “card carrying members”. A wonderful asset to our downtown area.
- · Water Station – The Association built and has maintained the water station on the North Channel. Even though most of our residents now have city water, there are many residents that do not enjoy this privilege. Through a coin operated bulk water delivery system and through member’s dues, this is still maintained by our volunteer members of the Association.
- · Downtown Beautification – Needless to say our downtown area has improved in appearance over the past 10 years. Thanks to the local merchants our downtown looks better than ever. The Association has funded many projects in downtown. However, we would like to help in the enhancement of the downtown area. Lighting is one area that needs to be addressed and funded.